In response to recommendations from research and training from other organisations with expertise in Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) outreach, PEPAIDS’ has facilitated its partner organisation, SAPEP, to deliver a number of educational camps for orphans and vulnerable children.
The aim of the camps are to:
- Equip children with skills to cope in daily life
- To help children understand their rights and how to apply those in daily life
- To help children develop a healthy/ effective dialogue with their parents/ guardians
- To establish a rehabilitation process with trusted mentors and facilitators
- To inform children of where to get help if they are experiencing abuse
- To provide an opportunity for fun, freedom and expression!
The camps are aimed at children falling into these categories:
- Child/ grandmother headed families
- Victims of sexual abuse
- Pregnant teenagers
- Teenagers forced into early marriages
- Forced labour
In March 2013 Helen Allen heard, first-hand, about the difference a camp had made to children and families in one of our communities. Click on the links below to read some of their testimonies.